With a year round spectacular view of snow capped Himalayan ranges, Hatu peak is a beautiful tourist spot in Himachal Pradesh . This blog will share complete knowledge of how to reach Hatu Peak from Chandigarh through different modes.
Where is Hatu Peak located?
Hatu peak is the highest peak in the region near Narkanda, Rampur of Shimla district in Himachal Pradesh. Narkanda is located on Hindustan Tibet Road. It is around 65 Km from Shimla after Kufri.
|Name of the Place||Hatu Peak ( हाटू शिखर )|
|Elevation of Place||3400 m, 11200 feet|
|Best time to visit||March -June & September to November|
|Distance from Chandigarh||Around 185 Km|
How to reach Hatu Peak from Chandigarh
To reach Hatu Peak, you need to first reach Narkanda, which is connected by road and accessible throughout the year except during heavy snowfall or during heavy rainfall. The distance between Narkanda from Chandigarh is around 180 Km. There are different modes by which one can reach Narkanda.
How to reach Hatu Peak from Chandigarh by Road
There are various options to reach Hatu Peak by road.
You can refer to the below table to plan your journey to Reckong Peo.
|Sr. No.||Location||Distance (Km)||Elevation (ft)||Elevation (m)||Time (Hr)|
How to reach Hatu Peak from Chandigarh on a Bus
If you want to travel to Himachal with a limited budget then traveling by Bus would be the best option. Unlike other hilly states, the bus network in Himachal is very good and night service is also available.
Himachal Pradesh State Owned Buses are called HRTC buses ( Himachal Road Transport Corporation buses). They are usually green/blue in color.
There are multiple options to reach Narkanda by bus. You can take the bus to major bus stands / ISBTs and then a further connecting bus can be taken.
Before moving to the options we need to understand the route map.
There are many direct buses from Chandigarh to Narkanda, then you need to take a taxi or trek to reach Hatu Peak.
Option – 1 Chandigarh to Narkanda
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||CHANDIGARH||NARKANDA||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||93||1:00 AM||8:30 AM||7:30 Hrs||DW TARADEVI||HIMSUTA AC VOLVO / SCANIA 2X2||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RAMPUR||NO|
|2||556||1:10 AM||9:15 AM||8:05 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RECONGPEO||NO|
|3||1220||1:25 AM||9:30 AM||8:05 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||HARIDWAR||RECONGPEO||NO|
|4||538||1:30 AM||7:30 AM||6:00 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RAMPUR||NO|
|5||518||3:15 AM||9:45 AM||6:30 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SANGLA||NO|
|6||CHD-KLK-KFN||4:00 AM||11:00 AM||7:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||KAFNU||NO|
|7||1513||4:44 AM||11:30 AM||6:46 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|8||CHD-RPO-2X2||6:05 AM||1:00 PM||6:55 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|9||1726||6:36 AM||2:50 PM||8:14 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||SARAHAN||YES|
|10||1618||8:45 AM||4:45 PM||8:00 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||AMBALA CANT||RAMPUR||NO|
|11||1511||5:50 PM||12:50 AM||7:00 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|12||CHD-SML-RPO||6:00 PM||1:00 AM||7:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|13||1512||7:00 PM||2:00 AM||7:00 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||KALPA||YES|
|14||1510||8:00 PM||3:00 AM||7:00 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RAMPUR||YES|
Option – 2 Chandigarh to Shimla, then Shimla to Narkanda.
The bus service from Chandigarh to Shimla is much more frequent. You can easily reach Shimla based on the connecting bus from Shimla.
From Shimla to Narkanda Travel you can read this blog with complete details of Buses. .
For online booking of buses on the HRTC website kindly Click here
Note: If you are planning to take an offline HRTC bus, kindly confirm the timings from the HRTC Depot office before finalization. Click here to know the phone numbers.
How to reach Hatu Peak from Chandigarh on your own Vehicle
If you have good exposure to driving on mountainous roads then this is a perfect option to travel to Hatu Peak. Below are key things to be considered while traveling to Hatu Peak on your own driving.
- Around 6 Hrs are required to reach Hatu Peak from Chandigarh.
- Roads till Solan are very good separate lanes for up and down traffic) and in the rest part till Shimla construction is going on the road..
- Highway from Shimla to Hatu Peak is in good condition..
- You don’t require a 4X4 or a SUV as the normal vehicle can reach there.
- In winter there would be high snowfall above Shimla to Hatu Peak. Please plan your journey by checking the weather.
- If you want to by-pass Shimla you can go to Chail and then to Kufri.
How to reach Hatu Peak from Chandigarh on a bike
Kindly consider the below points before planning a trip to Hatu Peak on a bike.
- Every bike can reach Hatu Peak but prefer a bike with > 150 cc engine if you are with a pillion rider.
- You will feel the major variation in the temperature while traveling on a bike as there is a gain and drop of altitude. Shimla to Hatu Peak at a higher altitude than Chandigarh.
- Carry rain covers along as there might be rainy uphill while there is a clear sky on the plains.
- There would be many landslide-prone areas that are treacherous during the rainy season.
- During winters Bike riding is not advisable as there will be snowfall / black ice on roads and bike riding is extremely dangerous..
How to reach Hatu Peak from Chandigarh on a Taxi
Taxis can easily be hired for Hatu Peak and there are many options available on the online platforms. Following key things to be considered while taxing taxis to Hatu Peak.
- The Driver should be experienced in traveling these areas.
- Vehicle to be comfortable since travel time would be more than 6 hrs.
- Ground clearance of the Vehicle to be good.
- Negotiate well before finalization.
How to reach Hatu Peak from Chandigarh by Train
The nearest railway station en route to Hatu Peak is the Shimla railway station. But this station is on the narrow gauge. You need to change trains from Kalka railway station. The Kalka railway station is for both broad gauge and narrow gauge. You can easily reach Kalka railway station from Chandigarh which is less than an Hour.
- This route is a UNESCO world heritage site.
- Best train route to see beautiful Himalayan mountains.
- Travel time is much high since the maximum speed of this train is around 30 km/hr
- The frequency of the trains between Kalka and Shimla is quite low.
How to reach Hatu Peak from Chandigarh by air
Since Narkanda is located inner in the Himalayas, there is no major airport nearby.
The nearest airport en route to Narkanda is Shimla airport but there is no direct service available on the plane from Chandigarh.
Heli service is available from Chandigarh to Shimla.
Summary – “How to reach Hatu Peak from Chandigarh”
Let’s summarize what we have understood in this blog “How to reach Hatu Peak from Chandigarh ”
- Narkanda is a wonderful travel destination located in the Narkanda district of Himachal Pradesh at around 185 KM from Chandigarh.
- You can reach Hatu Peak in one day from Chandigarh.
- Hatu Peak can be reached throughout the year but the best time is from April – June and then from September – October.
- Hatu Peak can be reached by self-driven car, bike, taxi, and by Bus.
- Nearest railway station is Shimla which is narrow gauge. The train can be taken from Kalka.
- Nearest airport is Shimla airport but no direct service from Chandigarh.
- Cheapest way to reach Hatu Peak is by the HRTC bus and many options are available.
We hope you have got a good understanding of “How to reach Hatu Peak from Chandigarh ”. If you want to give suggestions on this blog ” please comment.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions:
Question – Chandigarh to Hatu Peak bus
Answer – There are many direct buses from Chandigarh to Hatu Peak. Read this blog, you will be able to know details of all the buses.