In the extreme corner of Spiti Valley, there lies Mud village in Pin Valley national park. It is a favorite tourist destination in Spiti Circuit. This blog will share complete knowledge of how to reach Mud Pin Valley from Chandigarh through different modes.
Where is Mud Pin Valley located?
Mud Pin Valley is a valley along the river Pin which is a major tributary of Spiti River. Spiti is located beyond Kinnaur and Kullu district on the other side of the Himalayas.
Mud is Last village in Pin valley and well connected by road. This place is situated 50 Km from and around 65 Km from Tabo.
|Name of the Place||Mud – Pin Valley ( मुद – पिन घाटी )|
|District||Lahaul & Spiti|
|Elevation||3850 m, 12600 ft|
|Best time to visit||May – September|
|Travel Distance by road||Around 575 Km|
|Travel Time by road||17:00 Hrs (approximately)|
How to reach Mud Pin Valley from Chandigarh
Mud is connected by road and accessible majorly during summers.
There are two options to reach Pin valley by road, One is via Shimla, Rampur which is open throughout the year except during heaving snowfall
The distance between Mud Pin valley and Delhi is around 800 Km.
Another option is Via Manali which is open only for 4 months a year.
There are different modes by which one can reach Pin Valley .
How to reach Mud Pin Valley from Chandigarh by Road
There are various options to reach Kaza by road.
You can refer to the below table to plan your journey to Kaza.
|Sr. No.||Location||Distance (Km)||Elevation (ft)||Elevation (m)||Time (Hr)|
|14||Mud – Pin Valley||575||12600||3850||17:10|
How to reach Mud Pin Valley from Chandigarh on a Bus
If you want to travel to Himachal with a limited budget then traveling by Bus would be the best option. Unlike other hilly states, the bus network in Himachal is very good and night service is also available.
Himachal Pradesh State Owned Buses are called HRTC buses ( Himachal Road Transport Corporation buses). They are usually green/blue in color.
There are multiple options to reach Kaza by bus. You can take the bus to major bus stands / ISBTs and then a further connecting bus can be taken.
Before moving to the options we need to understand the route map.
Option – 1 Chandigarh – Reckong Peo by bus and then Reckong Peo to Kaza by another bus then Kaza to Mud.
Below are the bus details you can choose
From Chandigarh to Reckong Peo:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||556||1:10 AM||3:00 PM||13:50 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RECONGPEO||NO|
|2||1220||1:30 AM||2:15 PM||12:45 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||HARIDWAR||RECONGPEO||NO|
|3||1513||4:44 AM||7:00 PM||14:16 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||YES|
|4||CHD-RPO||6:05 AM||7:00 PM||12:55 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|5||1511||5:50 PM||7:00 AM||13:10 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||YES|
|6||CHD-SML-RPO||6:00 PM||7:00 AM||13:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|7||1512||7:00 PM||9:00 AM||14:00 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||KALPA||YES|
From Reckong Peo to Kaza.
You can take a bus for Kaza from Reckong Peo.
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||RECONGPEO||KAZA||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||RPO-KZA-01||5:30 AM||3:00 PM||9:30 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||RECONGPEO||KAZA||NO|
|2||RPO-KZA-02||7:30 AM||5:00 PM||9:30 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||RECONGPEO||KAZA||NO|
From Kaza to Mud
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||KAZA||MUD||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||KAZA-MUD||4:00 PM||6:00 PM||2:00 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 OLD||KAZA||MUD||NO|
Option – 2 Chandigarh to Manali, then to Mud via Kaza
Bus service from Chandigarh to Manali is frequent.
From Manali to Kaza Travel you can read this blog with complete details of Buses.
For online booking of buses on the HRTC website kindly Click here
Note: If you are planning to take an offline HRTC bus, kindly confirm the timings from the HRTC Depot office before finalization. Click here to know the phone numbers.
How to reach Mud Pin Valley from Chandigarh on your own Vehicle
If you have good exposure to driving on mountainous roads and your vehicle is an SUV then this is a perfect option to travel to Kaza. Below are Key things to be considered while traveling to Kaza on your own driving.
For Option – 1
- The travel time is more than 16 hrs.
- Roads till Solan are good ( separate lanes for up and down traffic).
- You require a 4X4 vehicle if you are coming in winters and normal vehicles can reach there in rummers..
- The road from Rampur to Kaza is considered among the most dangerous roads so driving should be done carefully.
- There would be many landslide-prone areas that are treacherous during the rainy season.
- In winter there would be high snowfall above Shimla to Narkanda and then in the Kinnaur district so weather updates to be taken before the start of the journey.
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur.
For Option – 2
- One can easily reach Manali from Chandigarh.
- The route after a few kilometers from the Atal tunnel is totally bad in shape and opens for only 4 months a year. So please make sure you are well prepared for that terrain.
- The travel time is more than 8 hrs Kaza from Manali, so please make sure you start early in the day as during the rest of the day the water level in the crossing is high.
- There is no network/support on this route. Make sure you are having cold prevention set up in case you get stuck somewhere.
- If you are having a 4X4 vehicle then this is a good option.
- The road from Kaza to Tabo is majorly okay but has some treacherous sections.
- Cancel or postpone your travel if there is bad weather.
- In Manali – Kaza route petrol pump is only at Kaza after Manali.
How to reach Mud Pin Valley from Chandigarh on a bike
Nowadays traveling into the Himalayas on Bike is becoming a trend. Lots of bikers every year travel to remote areas and enjoy the beauty. Reaching Kaza on a bike would be the dream for every adventure lover. Kindly consider the below points before planning a trip to Kaza on a bike.
- Every bike can reach Mud / Kaza but prefer a bike with > 150 cc engine if you are with a pillion rider.
- Carry rain covers along as there might be rainy uphill while there is a clear sky on the plains.
- There are many landslide-prone areas that are treacherous during the rainy season.
- During winters Bike riding is not advisable as there will be snowfall / black ice on roads and bike riding is extremely dangerous..
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur so please plan and fill the tank based upon the fuel consumption of your bike.
How to reach Mud Pin Valley from Chandigarh on a Taxi
Taxis can easily be hired for Kaza / mud and there are many options available on the online platforms. Following key things to be considered while taxing taxis to Kaza.
- Drivers should be experienced in traveling in these areas.
- Vehicle to be comfortable since travel time would be more than 12 hrs.
- Ground clearance of the Vehicle to be good.
- Negotiate well before finalization.
How to reach Mud Pin Valley from Chandigarh by Train
The nearest railway station en route to Mud / Kaza is the Shimla railway station. But this station is on the narrow gauge. You need to change trains from Kalka railway station. The Kalka railway station is for both broad gauge and narrow gauge. You can easily reach Kalka railway station from Chandigarh which is less than an Hour.
How to reach Mud Pin Valley from Chandigarh by air
Since Kaza is located deep in the Himalayas, there is no major airport nearby.
The nearest airport en route to Kaza is Shimla airport and Bhuntar airport
Summary – “How to reach Mud Pin Valley from Chandigarh”
Let’s summarize what we have understood in this blog “How to reach Mud Pin Valley from Chandigarh ”
- Mud located in the Lahaul & Spiti District of Himachal Pradesh at around 575 KM from Chandigarh.
- Mud can be majorly reached during summers but the best time is from April – September.
- Mud can be reached by self-driven car, bike, taxi, and by Bus.
- Nearest railway station is Shimla which is narrow gauge. The train can be taken from Kalka.
- Nearest airport is Shimla airport but no direct service from Chandigarh.
- Cheapest way to reach Mud is by the HRTC bus and many options are available.
We hope you have got a good understanding of “How to reach Mud Pin Valley from Chandigarh ”. If you want to give suggestions on this blog ” please comment.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions:
Question – Chandigarh to Mud Pin Valley bus
Answer – There is no direct bus from Chandigarh to Mud. You can take the bus to Reckong Peo and then to Kaza.