Surrounded by Deodar trees, Theog is a less crowded and beautiful weekend destination near Shimla. This blog will share complete knowledge of how to reach Theog from Delhi through different modes.
Where is Theog located?
Theog is a small town situated on Hindustan Tibet road just half an hour away from Kufri.
Theog is around 30 km from Himachal’s capital “ Shimla”.
|Name of the Place||Theog ( ठियोग )|
|Elevation of Place||2300 m, 7500 feet|
|Best time to visit||Round the year|
|Distance from Delhi||Around 400 Km|
How to reach Theog from Delhi
To reach Theog, you need to first reach Shimla, which is well connected by road and accessible throughout the year except during very heavy snowfall.
The distance between Theog from Delhi is around 400 Km. There are different modes by which one can reach Theog.
How to reach Theog from Delhi by Road
There are many options for reaching Theog by road.
You can refer to the below table to plan your journey to Narkanda
|Sr. No.||Location||Distance (Km)||Elevation (ft)||Elevation (m)||Time (Hr)|
How to reach Theog from Delhi on a Bus
If you want to travel to Himachal with a limited budget then traveling by Bus would be the best option. Unlike other hilly states, the bus network in Himachal is very good and night service is also available.
Himachal Pradesh State Owned Buses are called HRTC buses ( Himachal Road Transport Corporation buses). They are usually green/blue in color.
There are multiple options to reach Narkanda by bus. You can take a bus to major bus stands / ISBTs and then a further connecting bus can be taken.
Before moving to the options we need to understand the route map.
There are many direct buses from Delhi to Theog. You can choose the options below for reaching Theog.
Option – 1 Delhi to Theog.
There are many buses from Delhi to Theog :
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||THEOG||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||525||4:50 PM||3:15 AM||10:25 Hrs||ROHRU||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||ROHRU||YES|
|2||532||5:59 PM||7:05 AM||13:06 Hrs||ROHRU||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||ROHRU||YES|
|3||538||6:31 PM||7:00 AM||12:29 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RAMPUR||YES|
|4||93||7:35 PM||7:25 AM||11:50 Hrs||DW TARADEVI||HIMSUTA AC VOLVO / SCANIA 2X2||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RAMPUR||YES|
|5||301||7:43 PM||7:20 AM||11:37 Hrs||SHIMLA RURAL||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||KHAMADI||YES|
|6||556||8:10 PM||7:45 AM||11:35 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RECONGPEO||YES|
|7||8||9:02 PM||7:30 AM||10:28 Hrs||DW TARADEVI||HIMSUTA AC VOLVO / SCANIA 2X2||HIMACHAL BHAWAN DELHI||ROHRU||NO|
|8||518||9:58 PM||8:45 AM||10:47 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SANGLA||YES|
. Option – 2 Delhi to Chandigarh, then to Theog.
From Delhi to Chandigarh:
There are many buses between Delhi and Chandigarh. You can easily get an ordinary/deluxe / Volvo bus very frequently.
From Chandigarh to Theog Travel you can read this blog with complete details of Buses .
Option – 3 Delhi to Shimla, then to Theog.
Similar to Chandigarh, bus service from Delhi to Shimla is much more frequent. You can easily reach Shimla based on the connecting bus from Shimla.
From Shimla to Narkanda Travel you can read this blog with complete details of Buses
For online booking of buses on the HRTC website kindly Click here
Note: If you are planning to take an offline HRTC bus, kindly confirm the timings from the HRTC Depot office before finalization. Click here to know the phone numbers.
How to reach Theog from Delhi on your own Vehicle
If you have good exposure to driving on mountainous roads then this is a perfect option to travel to Theog. Below are key things to be considered while traveling to Theog on your own driving.
- Around 10 Hrs are required to reach Theog from Delhi.
- Roads till Solan are very good separate lanes for up and down traffic) and in the rest part till Shimla construction is going on the road..
- Highway from Shimla to Narkanda is in good condition..
- You don’t require a 4X4 or a SUV as the normal vehicle can reach there.
- In winter there would be high snowfall above Shimla to Theog. Please plan your journey by checking the weather.
- If you want to by-pass Shimla you can go to Chail and then to Kufri.
How to reach Theog from Delhi on a bike
Kindly consider the below points before planning a trip to Narkanda on a bike.
- Every bike can reach Theog but prefer a bike with > 150 cc engine if you are with a pillion rider.
- You will feel the major variation in the temperature while traveling on a bike as there is a gain and drop of altitude. Shimla to Theog at a higher altitude than delhi.
- Carry rain covers along as there might be rainy uphill while there is a clear sky on the plains.
- There would be many landslide-prone areas that are treacherous during the rainy season.
- During winters Bike riding is not advisable as there will be snowfall / black ice on roads and bike riding is extremely dangerous..
How to reach Theog from Delhi on a Taxi
Taxis can easily be hired for Theog and there are many options available on the online platforms. Following key things to be considered while taxing taxis to Theog.
- The Driver should be experienced in traveling in these areas.
- Vehicle to be comfortable since travel time would be around 10 hrs.
- Ground clearance of the Vehicle to be good.
- Negotiate well before finalization.
How to reach Theog from Delhi by Train
The nearest railway station en route to Narkanda is the Shimla railway station. But this station is on the narrow gauge. You need to change trains from Kalka railway station. The Kalka railway station is for both broad gauge and narrow gauge.
- This route is a UNESCO world heritage site.
- Best train route to see beautiful Himalayan mountains.
- Travel time is much high since the maximum speed of this train is around 30 km/hr
- The frequency of the trains between Kalka and Shimla is quite low.
The major train station en route to Theog is Chandigarh railway station.
- There are many regular trains between Delhi and Chandigarh.
- Taxi service, as well as bus service, is available for further journeys.
- Since Chandigarh is only 250 km from Delhi, the rest of the journey will be covered on road so better travel the whole journey by road.
How to reach Theog from Delhi by air
Since Theog is located inner in the Himalayas, there is no major airport nearby.
- The nearest airport en route to Theog is Shimla airport.
- More than half the distance can be covered.
- Narkanda can be covered in a day if started early from Delhi.
- The frequency of the flights between Delhi and Shimla is quite low.
- Total travel costs will be much higher.
- Total distance is not covered.
- Another airport en route to Theog is Chandigarh airport.
- There are many regular flights between Delhi and Chandigarh.
- There is not much time saving on flights from Delhi to Chandigarh.
- Total distance is not covered.
Summary – “How to reach Theog from Delhi”
Let’s summarize what we have understood in this blog “How to reach Theog from Delhi ”
- Theog is a wonderful travel destination located in the Shimla district of Himachal Pradesh at around 400 KM from Delhi.
- You can reach Theog in 10 hrs from Delhi
- Theog can be reached throughout the year.
- Theog can be reached by self-driven car, bike, taxi, and by Bus.
- Nearest railway station is Shimla which is narrow gauge. The major railway station is Chandigarh railway station.
- Nearest airport is Shimla airport.
- Cheapest way to reach Narkanda is by the HRTC bus.
We hope you have got a good understanding of “How to reach Theog from Delhi ”. If you want to give suggestions on this blog ” please comment.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions:
Question – Delhi to Theog bus
Answer – There are many direct buses from Delhi to Thoeg . Details of the buses are in the blog.