Tapri is a major stop before proceeding to other destinations in the Kinnaur district and Spiti district of Himachal. This blog will share complete knowledge of how to reach Tapri from Chandigarh through different modes.
Where is Tapri located?
Tapri is situated in the Kinnaur District of Himachal Pradesh. It lies on the left bank of the Satluj river. It is a major stop before proceeding to other destinations in Kinnaur and Spiti.
Tapri is 25 before Reckong Peo which is a major town and current headquarter of Kinnaur district.
|Name of the Place||Tapri ( टापरी )|
|Elevation||1700 m, 5600 ft|
|Best time to visit||April – June, September – October|
|Travel Distance by road||310 Km|
|Travel Time by road||09:45 Hrs (approximately)|
How to reach Tapri from Chandigarh
Tapri is connected by road and accessible throughout the year except during heavy snowfall or during heavy rainfall. The distance between Tapri from Chandigarh is around 310 Km. There are different modes by which one can reach Tapri.
How to reach Tapri from Chandigarh by Road
There are various options to reach Tapri by road.
You can refer to the below table to plan your journey to Tapri.
|Sr. No.||Location||Distance (Km)||Elevation (ft)||Elevation (m)||Time (Hr)|
How to reach Tapri from Chandigarh on a Bus
If you want to travel to Himachal with a limited budget then traveling by Bus would be the best option. Unlike other hilly states, the bus network in Himachal is very good and night service is also available.
Himachal Pradesh State Owned Buses are called HRTC buses ( Himachal Road Transport Corporation buses). They are usually green/blue in color.
There are multiple options to reach Tapri by bus. You can take the bus to major bus stands / ISBTs and then a further connecting bus can be taken.
Before moving to the options we need to understand the route map.
Option – 1 Chandigarh – Tapri by bus from ISBT Sec-43.
Below are the bus details you can choose
From Chandigarh to Tapri:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||CHANDIGARH||TAPRI||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||556||1:10 AM||2:00 PM||12:50 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RECONGPEO||NO|
|2||1220||1:25 AM||1:10 PM||11:45 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||HARIDWAR||RECONGPEO||NO|
|3||518||3:15 AM||4:00 PM||12:45 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SANGLA||NO|
|4||CHD-RPO-2X2||6:05 AM||6:00 PM||11:55 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|5||1511||5:50 PM||6:00 AM||12:10 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||YES|
|6||CHD-SML-RPO||6:00 PM||5:45 AM||11:45 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|7||1512||7:00 PM||8:30 AM||13:30 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||KALPA||YES|
Option – 2 Chandigarh to Shimla, then to Tapri The bus service from Chandigarh to Shimla is much more frequent. You can easily reach Shimla based on the connecting bus from Shimla.
From Shimla to Tapri Travel you can read this blog with complete details of Buses. .
For online booking of buses on the HRTC website kindly Click here
Note: If you are planning to take an offline HRTC bus, kindly confirm the timings from the HRTC Depot office before finalization. Click here to know the phone numbers.
How to reach Tapri from Chandigarh on your own Vehicle
If you have good exposure to driving on mountainous roads and your vehicle is an SUV then this is a perfect option to travel to Tapri. Below are Key things to be considered while traveling to Tapri on your own driving.
- The travel time is more than 10 hrs so please make sure you start early in the morning so that you reach Tapri in the evening before it is dark.
- Roads till Solan are good ( separate lanes for up and down traffic).
- You don’t require a 4X4 vehicle there as the normal vehicle can reach there.
- The road from Rampur to Tapri is considered among the most dangerous roads so driving should be done carefully.
- There would be many landslide-prone areas that are treacherous during the rainy season.
- In winter there would be high snowfall above Shimla to Narkanda and then in the Kinnaur district so weather updates to be taken before the start of the journey.
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur.
How to reach Tapri from Chandigarh on a bike
Nowadays traveling into the Himalayas on Bike is becoming a trend. Lots of bikers every year travel to remote areas and enjoy the beauty. Reaching Tapri on a bike would be the dream of every adventure lover. Kindly consider the below points before planning a trip to Tapri on a bike.
- Every bike can reach Tapri but prefer a bike with > 150 cc engine if you are with a pillion rider.
- You will feel the major variation in the temperature while traveling on the bike as there is a gain and drop of altitude. Shimla to Narkanda at a higher altitude than Rampur at a lower altitude.
- Ride carefully as the road from Rampur to Tapri is considered a dangerous road so driving should be done carefully.
- Carry rain covers along as there might be rainy uphill while there is a clear sky on the plains.
- There are many landslide-prone areas that are treacherous during the rainy season.
- During winters Bike riding is not advisable as there will be snowfall / black ice on roads and bike riding is extremely dangerous..
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur so please plan and fill the tank based upon the fuel consumption of your bike.
How to reach Tapri from Chandigarh on a Taxi
Taxis can easily be hired for Tapri and there are many options available on the online platforms. Following key things to be considered while taxing taxis to Tapri.
- The Driver should be experienced in traveling these areas.
- Vehicle to be comfortable since travel time would be around 10 hrs.
- Ground clearance of the Vehicle to be good.
- Negotiate well before finalization.
How to reach Tapri from Chandigarh by Train
The nearest railway station en route to Tapri is the Shimla railway station. But this station is on the narrow gauge. You need to change trains from Kalka railway station. The Kalka railway station is for both broad gauge and narrow gauge. You can easily reach Kalka railway station from Chandigarh which is less than an Hour.
- This route is a UNESCO world heritage site.
- Best train route to see beautiful Himalayan mountains.
- Travel time is much high since the maximum speed of this train is around 30 km/hr
- The frequency of the trains between Kalka and Shimla is quite low.
How to reach Tapri from Chandigarh by air
Since Tapri is located inland in the Himalayas, there is no major airport nearby.
The nearest airport en route to Tapri is Shimla airport but there is no direct service available on the plane from Chandigarh.
Heli service is available from Chandigarh to Shimla.
Summary – “How to reach Tapri from Chandigarh”
Let’s summarize what we have understood in this blog “How to reach Tapri from Chandigarh ”
- Tapri is a wonderful travel destination located in the Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh at around 310 KM from Chandigarh.
- You can reach Tapri in one day from Chandigarh.
- Tapri can be reached throughout the year but the best time is from April – June and then from September – October.
- Tapri can be reached by self-driven car, bike, taxi, and by Bus.
- Nearest railway station is Shimla which is narrow gauge. The train can be taken from Kalka.
- Nearest airport is Shimla airport but no direct service from Chandigarh.
- Cheapest way to reach Tapri is by the HRTC bus and many options are available.
We hope you have got a good understanding of “How to reach Tapri from Chandigarh ”. If you want to give suggestions on this blog ” please comment.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions:
Question – Chandigarh to Tapri bus
Answer – There are many direct buses from Chandigarh to Tapri with the online booking also. Read this blog, you will be able to know details of all the buses.