With a 1000 years old Monastery, Tabo is a beautiful place in Lahaul & Spiti district of Himachal. This blog will share complete knowledge of how to reach Tabo from Chandigarh through different modes.
Where is Tabo located?
Tabo is a small village near China border in Himachal Pradesh. This place is situated around 175 Km ahead of Reckong Peo in Lahaul & Spiti district on Kaza highway. This is a popular stay option during the Spiti Valley trip.
|Name of the Place
|Tabo (ताबो )
|Lahaul & Spiti
|3300 m, 10800 ft
|Best time to visit
|April – June, September – October
|Travel Distance by road
|Travel Time by road
|15 Hrs (approximately)
How to reach Tabo from Chandigarh
Tabo is connected by road and accessible majorly during summers. The distance between Tabo from Chandigarh is around 490 Km. There are different modes by which one can reach Tabo.
How to reach Tabo from Chandigarh by Road
There are various options to reach Tabo by road.
You can refer to the below table to plan your journey to Tabo.
How to reach Tabo from Chandigarh on a Bus
If you want to travel to Himachal with a limited budget then traveling by Bus would be the best option. Unlike other hilly states, the bus network in Himachal is very good and night service is also available.
Himachal Pradesh State Owned Buses are called HRTC buses ( Himachal Road Transport Corporation buses). They are usually green/blue in color.
There are multiple options to reach Tabo by bus. You can take the bus to major bus stands / ISBTs and then a further connecting bus can be taken.
Before moving to the options we need to understand the route map.
Option – 1 Chandigarh – Reckong Peo by bus and then Reckong Peo to Tabo by another bus.
Below are the bus details you can choose
From Chandigarh to Reckong Peo:
|DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE
|HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC
|HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC
From Reckong Peo to Tabo.
You can take a bus for Tabo from Reckong Peo.
Option – 2 Chandigarh to Shimla, then to Tabo.
The bus service from Chandigarh to Shimla is much more frequent. You can easily reach Shimla based on the connecting bus from Shimla.
From Shimla to Tabo Travel you can read this blog with complete details of Buses. .
Option – 3 Chandigarh to Manali, then to Tabo.
Similar to Shimla , bus service from Chandigarh to Manali is also frequent.
From Manali to Tabo Travel you can read this blog with complete details of Buses.
For online booking of buses on the HRTC website kindly Click here
Note: If you are planning to take an offline HRTC bus, kindly confirm the timings from the HRTC Depot office before finalization. Click here to know the phone numbers.
How to reach Tabo from Chandigarh on your own Vehicle
If you have good exposure to driving on mountainous roads and your vehicle is an SUV then this is a perfect option to travel to Tabo. Below are Key things to be considered while traveling to Tabo on your own driving.
- The travel time is more than 15 hrs so please make sure you start early in the morning so that you reach Tabo in the evening before it is dark.
- Roads till Solan are good ( separate lanes for up and down traffic).
- Highway up to Karcham after that single-lane road.
- You don’t require a 4X4 vehicle there as the normal vehicle can reach there.
- The road from Rampur to Tabo is considered among the most dangerous roads so driving should be done carefully.
- There would be many landslide-prone areas that are treacherous during the rainy season.
- In winter there would be high snowfall above Shimla to Narkanda and then in the Kinnaur district so weather updates to be taken before the start of the journey.
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur.
How to reach Tabo from Chandigarh on a bike
Nowadays traveling into the Himalayas on Bike is becoming a trend. Lots of bikers every year travel to remote areas and enjoy the beauty. Reaching Tabo on a bike would be the dream for every adventure lover. Kindly consider the below points before planning a trip to Tabo on a bike.
- Every bike can reach Tabo but prefer a bike with > 150 cc engine if you are with a pillion rider.
- Ride carefully as the road from Rampur to Tabo is considered a dangerous road so driving should be done carefully.
- Carry rain covers along as there might be rainy uphill while there is a clear sky on the plains.
- There are many landslide-prone areas that are treacherous during the rainy season.
- During winters Bike riding is not advisable as there will be snowfall / black ice on roads and bike riding is extremely dangerous..
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur so please plan and fill the tank based upon the fuel consumption of your bike.
How to reach Tabo from Chandigarh on a Taxi
Taxis can easily be hired for Tabo and there are many options available on the online platforms. Following key things to be considered while taxing taxis to Tabo.
- Drivers should be experienced in traveling in these areas.
- Vehicle to be comfortable since travel time would be more than 12 hrs.
- Ground clearance of the Vehicle to be good.
- Negotiate well before finalization.
How to reach Tabo from Chandigarh by Train
The nearest railway station en route to Tabo is the Shimla railway station. But this station is on the narrow gauge. You need to change trains from Kalka railway station. The Kalka railway station is for both broad gauge and narrow gauge. You can easily reach Kalka railway station from Chandigarh which is less than an Hour.
How to reach Tabo from Chandigarh by air
Since Tabo is located deep in the Himalayas, there is no major airport nearby.
The nearest airport en route to Tabo is Shimla airport but there is no direct service available on the plane from Chandigarh.
Heli service is available from Chandigarh to Shimla.
Summary – “How to reach Tabo from Chandigarh”
Let’s summarize what we have understood in this blog “How to reach Tabo from Chandigarh ”
- Tabo is a wonderful travel destination located in the Lahaul & Spiti District of Himachal Pradesh at around 490 KM from Chandigarh.
- Tabo can be reached during summers but the best time is from April – June and then from September – October.
- Tabo can be reached by self-driven car, bike, taxi, and by Bus.
- Nearest railway station is Shimla which is narrow gauge. The train can be taken from Kalka.
- Nearest airport is Shimla airport but no direct service from Chandigarh.
- Cheapest way to reach Tabo is by the HRTC bus and many options are available.
We hope you have got a good understanding of “How to reach Tabo from Chandigarh ”. If you want to give suggestions on this blog ” please comment.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions:
Question – Chandigarh to Tabo bus
Answer – There is no direct bus from Chandigarh to Tabo. You can take the bus to Reckong Peo and then to Tabo.