Once the summer capital of India, Shimla is one of the most beautiful hill stations in India. It is the capital city of Himachal Pradesh and Occasionally called “Queen of Hills” and It is a weekend destination for North Indian Tourists. This blog will share complete knowledge of how to reach Shimla from Delhi through different modes.
Where is Shimla located?
Shimla is a small town situated on Hindustan Tibet road National Highway -22 in the Southern side of Himachal Pradesh.
|Name of the Place||Shimla ( शिमला )|
|Elevation of Place||2200 m, 7200 feet|
|Accessibility||By road, By Rail & By air|
|Best time to visit||Round the year, For Snow Mid-Dec to Mid -Feb|
|Distance from Delhi||Around 365 Km|
How to reach Shimla from Delhi
Shimla is well connected by air, train and by road. Accessible throughout the year except during very heavy snowfall.
The distance between Shimla from Delhi is around 365 Km. There are different modes by which one can reach Shimla.
How to reach Shimla from Delhi by Road
There are many options for reaching Shimla by road.
You can refer to the below table to plan your journey to Shimla
|Sr. No.||Location||Distance (Km)||Elevation (ft)||Elevation (m)||Time (Hr)|
How to reach Shimla from Delhi on a Bus
If you want to travel to Himachal with a limited budget then traveling by Bus would be the best option. Unlike other hilly states, the bus network in Himachal is very good and night service is also available.
Himachal Pradesh State Owned Buses are called HRTC buses ( Himachal Road Transport Corporation buses). They are usually green/blue in color.
There are multiple options to reach Shimla by bus. You can take a bus to major bus stands / ISBTs and then a further connecting bus can be taken.
Before moving to the options we need to understand the route map.
There are many direct buses from Delhi to Shimla. You can choose the options below for reaching Shimla.
Option – 1 Delhi to Shimla.
There are many buses from Delhi to Shimla with and without online booking :
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||501||5:00 AM||3:30 PM||10:30 Hrs||SHIMLA RURAL||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||YES|
|2||6||6:45 AM||4:30 PM||9:45 Hrs||DW TARADEVI||HIMSUTA AC VOLVO / SCANIA 2X2||HIMACHAL BHAWAN DELHI||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||YES|
|3||592||8:05 AM||7:00 PM||10:55 Hrs||TARADEVI||HIMDHARA 3X2 AC||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||YES|
|4||129||8:50 AM||6:50 PM||10:00 Hrs||TARADEVI||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||YES|
|5||7||9:25 AM||6:55 PM||9:30 Hrs||DW TARADEVI||HIMSUTA AC VOLVO / SCANIA 2X2||HIMACHAL BHAWAN DELHI||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||YES|
|6||510||10:32 AM||9:15 PM||10:43 Hrs||DW TARADEVI||HIMSUTA AC VOLVO / SCANIA 2X2||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||YES|
|7||657||11:00 AM||10:00 PM||11:00 Hrs||SHIMLA RURAL||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||YES|
|8||551||3:30 PM||2:40 AM||11:10 Hrs||SOLAN||HIMDHARA 3X2 AC||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||YES|
|9||525||4:50 PM||1:30 AM||8:40 Hrs||ROHRU||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||ROHRU||YES|
|10||532||5:59 PM||4:15 AM||10:16 Hrs||ROHRU||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||ROHRU||YES|
|11||538||6:31 PM||5:28 AM||10:57 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RAMPUR||YES|
|12||93||7:35 PM||5:01 AM||9:26 Hrs||DW TARADEVI||HIMSUTA AC VOLVO / SCANIA 2X2||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RAMPUR||NO|
|13||301||7:43 PM||5:30 AM||9:47 Hrs||SHIMLA RURAL||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||KHAMADI||YES|
|14||556||8:10 PM||5:45 AM||9:35 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RECONGPEO||YES|
|15||46||8:24 PM||6:44 AM||10:20 Hrs||SOLAN||HIMGAURAV 2X2 AC||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||YES|
|16||591||9:00 PM||8:15 AM||11:15 Hrs||TARADEVI||HIMDHARA 3X2 AC||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||YES|
|17||8||9:02 PM||6:30 AM||9:28 Hrs||DW TARADEVI||HIMSUTA AC VOLVO / SCANIA 2X2||HIMACHAL BHAWAN DELHI||ROHRU||NO|
|18||570||9:25 PM||7:40 AM||10:15 Hrs||SOLAN||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||YES|
|19||176||9:30 PM||6:00 AM||8:30 Hrs||SHIMLA RURAL||HIMGAURAV 2X2 AC||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||YES|
|20||20||9:36 PM||7:00 AM||9:24 Hrs||DW TARADEVI||HIMSUTA AC VOLVO / SCANIA 2X2||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||YES|
|21||518||9:58 PM||7:15 AM||9:17 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SANGLA||YES|
|22||579||10:30 PM||8:45 AM||10:15 Hrs||KARSOG||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||KARSOG||YES|
|23||36||10:31 PM||8:30 AM||9:59 Hrs||DW TARADEVI||HIMSUTA AC VOLVO / SCANIA 2X2||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||YES|
|24||22||11:00 PM||8:50 AM||9:50 Hrs||DW TARADEVI||HIMSUTA AC VOLVO / SCANIA 2X2||HIMACHAL BHAWAN DELHI||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||NO|
|25||564||11:40 PM||9:30 AM||9:50 Hrs||TARADEVI||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||YES|
Option – 2 Delhi to Chandigarh, then to Shimla.
From Delhi to Chandigarh:
There are many buses between Delhi and Chandigarh. You can easily get an ordinary/deluxe / Volvo bus very frequently.
From Chandigarh to Shimla Travel you can read this blog with complete details of Buses .
For online booking of buses on the HRTC website kindly Click here
Note: If you are planning to take an offline HRTC bus, kindly confirm the timings from the HRTC Depot office before finalization. Click here to know the phone numbers.
How to reach Shimla from Delhi on your own Vehicle
If you have good exposure to driving on mountainous roads then this is a perfect option to travel to Shimla. Below are key things to be considered while traveling to Shimla on your own driving.
- Around 8:30 Hrs are required to reach Shimla from Delhi.
- Roads till Solan are very good separate lanes for up and down traffic) and in the rest part till Shimla construction is going on the road.. .
- You don’t require a 4X4 or a SUV as the normal vehicle can reach there.
- In winter there would be high snowfall around Shimla. Please plan your journey by checking the weather.
How to reach Shimla from Delhi on a bike
Kindly consider the below points before planning a trip to Narkanda on a bike.
- Every bike can reach Shimla but prefer a bike with > 150 cc engine if you are with a pillion rider.
- Carry rain covers along as there might be rainy uphill while there is a clear sky on the plains.
- There would be many landslide-prone areas that are treacherous during the rainy season.
- During winters Bike riding is not advisable as there will be snowfall / black ice on roads and bike riding is extremely dangerous..
How to reach Shimla from Delhi on a Taxi
Taxis can easily be hired for Shimla and there are many options available on the online platforms. Following key things to be considered while taxing taxis to Shimla.
- The Driver should be experienced in traveling in these areas.
- Vehicle to be comfortable since travel time would be around 10 hrs.
- Ground clearance of the Vehicle to be good.
- Negotiate well before finalization.
How to reach Shimla from Delhi by Train
The nearest railway station en route to Shimla is the Shimla railway station. But this station is on the narrow gauge. You need to change trains from Kalka railway station. The Kalka railway station is for both broad gauge and narrow gauge.
- This route is a UNESCO world heritage site.
- Best train route to see beautiful Himalayan mountains.
- Travel time is much high since the maximum speed of this train is around 30 km/hr
- The frequency of the trains between Kalka and Shimla is quite low.
The major train station en route to Shimla is Chandigarh railway station.
- There are many regular trains between Delhi and Chandigarh.
- Taxi service, as well as bus service, is available for further journeys.
- Since Chandigarh is only 250 km from Delhi, the rest of the journey will be covered on road so better travel the whole journey by road.
How to reach Shimla from Delhi by air
- The nearest airport en route to Shimla is Shimla airport.
- More than half the distance can be covered.
- Shimla can be covered in a day if you start early from Delhi.
- The frequency of the flights between Delhi and Shimla is quite low.
- Total travel costs will be much higher.
- Total distance is not covered.
- Another airport en route to Shimla is Chandigarh airport.
- There are many regular flights between Delhi and Chandigarh.
- There is not much time saving on flights from Delhi to Chandigarh.
- Total distance is not covered.
Summary – “How to reach Shimla from Delhi”
Let’s summarize what we have understood in this blog “How to reach Shimla from Delhi ”
- Shimla is a wonderful travel destination located in the Shimla district of Himachal Pradesh at around 365 KM from Delhi.
- You can reach Shimla in 8:30 hrs from Delhi
- Shimla can be reached throughout the year.
- Shimla can be reached by self-driven car, bike, taxi, and by Bus.
- Nearest railway station is Shimla which is narrow gauge. The major railway station is Chandigarh railway station.
- Nearest airport is Shimla airport.
- Cheapest way to reach Narkanda is by the HRTC bus.
We hope you have got a good understanding of “How to reach Shimla from Delhi ”. If you want to give suggestions on this blog ” please comment.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions:
Question – Delhi to Shimla bus
Answer – There are many direct buses from Delhi to Shimla . Details of the buses are in the blog.