Up from Shimla there lies a beautiful green Himalayan valley near the China border. This blog will share complete knowledge of how to reach Sangla Valley from Shimla through different modes.
Where is Sangla Valley located?
Sangla Valley is an offbeat destination in the Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh. Its name is derived from the Village Sangla which is around 15 Km from Karacham. This valley lies on the Baspa river’s bank, the tributary of river Satluj. Sometimes this valley is also called Baspa Valley. Baspa river meets Satluj at Karcham dam, where there is a diversion for Sangla Valley.
|Name of the Place||Sangla ( सांगला घाटी )|
|Elevation||2600 m, 8500 ft|
|Best time to visit||April – June, September – October|
|Travel Distance by road||215 Km|
|Travel Time by road||7:15 Hrs (approximately)|
How to reach Sangla Valley from Shimla
Sangla Valley is connected by road and accessible throughout the year except during heavy snowfall or during heavy rainfall. The distance between Sangla Valley from Shimla is around 215 Km. There are different modes by which one can reach Sangla Valley.
How to reach Sangla Valley from Shimla by Road
There are various options to reach Sangla Valley by road.
You can refer below table to plan your journey to Sangla Valley.
|Sr. No.||Location||Distance (Km)||Elevation (ft)||Elevation (m)||Time (Hr)|
How to reach Sangla Valley from Shimla on a Bus
Himachal Pradesh State Owned Buses are called HRTC buses ( Himachal Road Transport Corporation buses). They are usually green/blue in color.
Reaching There are multiple options to reach Sangla Valley by bus.
Option – 1 Shimla – Sangla by bus and then Sangla to Sangla Valley another by bus.
Below are the bus details you can choose
From Shimla to Sangla.
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||SANGLA||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||518||7:15 AM||5:15 PM||10:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SANGLA||NO|
- Direct bus to Sangla
- Since there is only one bus which origins from Delhi and there is no online booking, there is a limited chance of a seat on this bus.
- You need to travel by ordinary bus which is very much uncomfortable in long-distance hilly.
Option – 2 Shimla – Reckong Peo by bus and then Reckong Peo to Sangla Valley by bus.
Below are the bus details you can choose
From Shimla to Reckong Peo:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||RECONGPEO||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||333||3:40 AM||4:00 PM||12:20 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||POOH VILLAGE||YES|
|2||633||4:30 AM||1:30 PM||9:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DHARAMSHALA||THANGI||NO|
|3||1220||5:00 AM||2:15 PM||9:15 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||HARIDWAR||RECONGPEO||NO|
|4||556||5:45 AM||3:00 PM||9:15 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RECONGPEO||NO|
|5||255||6:56 AM||4:40 PM||9:44 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||SOLAN||RECONGPEO||NO|
|6||1513||9:00 AM||7:00 PM||10:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|7||CHD-RPO||10:30 AM||7:00 PM||8:30 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|8||273||6:30 PM||3:30 AM||9:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||RECONGPEO||YES|
|9||1511||10:20 PM||7:00 AM||8:40 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|10||CHD-SML-RPO||10:30 PM||7:00 AM||8:30 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|11||1512||11:30 PM||9:00 AM||9:30 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||KALPA||NO|
From Reckong Peo to Sangla Valley:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||RECONGPEO||SANGLA||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||RPO-CKL-01||9:30 AM||12:00 PM||2:30 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||RECONGPEO||CHITKUL||NO|
|2||RPO-CKL-002||12:00 PM||2:00 PM||2:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||RECONGPEO||CHITKUL||NO|
- There are many buses available on this route.
- You can also that connecting bus to Sangla Valley if you reach Reckong peo on time.
- You can also take the deluxe bus on this route.
- There is no direct bus from Shimla to Sangla Valley and you have to go to Reckongpeo. This will add a minimum of 2 Hrs to your travel.
Option – 3 Shimla to Tapri, and then to Sangla Valley.
If you want to reach Sangla Valley without any halt and not to Reckong Peo then the best combination which I can suggest is to reach is as
- There are two buses from Chandigarh to Reckong Peo at @5:50 PM (Delux) and Other @6:00 PM ( Ordinary bus) they reach Shimla at around 10:15 PM ( without Online Booking).
- Take the ticket to Tapri and you will reach Tapri at around 6:00 AM
- Then take Tapri to Sangla Valley Bus which departs at @6:45 AM, you will reach Sangla Valley by around @9:00 AM.
From Shimla to Tapri:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||TAPRI||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|10||1511||10:20 PM||6:00 AM||7:40 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|11||CHD-SML-RPO||10:30 PM||5:45 AM||7:15 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
From Tapri to Sangla Valley:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||TAPRI||SANGLA||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||MND-RMP-CKL||6:45 AM||7:45 AM||1:30 Hrs||MANDI||ORDINARY||MANDI||CHITKUL||NO|
Option – 4 Shimla to Karcham, and then to Sangla Valley.
Again, if you want to reach Sangla Valley without going to Reckongpeo, this combination might help you.
Take the Bus from Shimla and reach Karcham before the connecting bus which is coming from Reckong Peo to Sangla Valley / Mandi to Sangla Valley
From Shimla to Karcham :
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||KARCHAM||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||1511||10:20 PM||6:30 AM||8:10 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|2||1512||11:30 PM||8:45 AM||9:15 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||KALPA||NO|
From Karcham to Sangla Valley:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||KARCHAM||SANGLA||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||MND-RMP-CKL||7:00 AM||7:45 AM||0:45 Hrs||MANDI||ORDINARY||MANDI||CHITKUL||NO|
|2||RPO-CKL-01||10:20 AM||12:00 PM||1:40 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||RECONGPEO||CHITKUL||NO|
|3||RPO-CKL-002||12:50 PM||2:00 PM||1:10 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||RECONGPEO||CHITKUL||NO|
|4||518||4:15 PM||5:15 PM||1:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SANGLA||NO|
For online booking of buses on the HRTC website kindly Click here
Note: If you planning to take an offline HRTC bus, kindly confirm the timings from HRTC Depot office before finalization. Click here to know the phone numbers.
How to reach Sangla Valley from Shimla on your own Vehicle
If you can reach Shimla in your own Vehicle then reaching Sangla Valley is not too much difficult a task.
- The travel time is around 8 hrs so please make sure you start early in the day so that you reach Sangla Valley in the evening..
- Highway road up to Karcham after that single-lane road.
- Road near Sangla Valley is not so okay, so having a high-ground clearance vehicle would be a good option.
- You don’t require a 4X4 vehicle there as the normal vehicle can reach there.
- The road from Rampur to Sangla Valley is considered among the most dangerous road so driving should be done carefully.
- In winter there would be high snowfall above Shimla till Narkanda and then in the Kinnaur district so weather updates to be taken before the start of the journey.
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur.
How to reach Sangla Valley from Shimla on a bike
Nowadays traveling into the Himalayas on Bike is getting a trend. Lots of bikers every year travel to remote areas and enjoy the beauty. Reaching Sangla Valley on the bike would be the dream for every adventure lover. Kindly consider the below points before planning a trip to Sangla Valley on a bike.
- Every bike can reach Sangla Valley but prefer a bike with > 150 cc engine if you are with a pinion rider.
- You will feel the major variation in the temperature while traveling on the bike as there is a gain and drop of altitude. Shimla to Narkanda at a higher altitude than Rampur at a lower altitude.
- Ride carefully as the road from Rampur to Sangla Valley is considered a dangerous road so driving should be done carefully.
- Carry rain covers along with as there might be rain at higher reaches.
- There are many landside-prone areas that are treacherous during raining season.
- During winters Bike riding is not advisable as there will be snowfall / black ice on roads and bike riding is extremely dangerous..
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur so please plan and fill the tank based upon the fuel consumption of your bike.
How to reach Sangla Valley from Shimla on a Taxi
Taxi can easily be hired for Sangla Valley and there are many options available on the online platforms. Following key things to be considered while taxing taxis to Sangla Valley.
- Driver should be experienced in traveling these areas.
- Vehicle to be comfortable since travel time would be more than 12 hrs.
- Ground clearance of the Vehicle to be good.
- Negotiate well before finalization.
How to reach Sangla Valley from Shimla by Train
Sangla Valley is not connected by train. The last station is at Shimla
How to reach Sangla Valley from Shimla by air
Since Sangla Valley is located inner in the Himalayas, there is no airport nearby. The Last airport is at Shimla.
Summary – “How to reach Sangla Valley from Shimla”
Let’s summarize what we have understood in this blog “How to reach Sangla Valley from Delhi ”
- Sangla Valley is a wonderful travel destination located in the Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh at around 215 KM from Shimla.
- You can reach Sangla Valley in one day from Shimla.
- Sangla Valley can be reached throughout the year but the best time is from April – June and then from September – October.
- Sangla Valley can be reached by self-driven car, bike, taxi, and by Bus.
- Cheapest way to reach Sangla Valley is by the HRTC bus and many options are available.
We hope you have got a good understanding of “How to reach Sangla Valley from Shimla ”. If you want to give suggestions on this blog ” please do comment.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions:
Question – Shimla to Sangla Valley bus
Answer – There is no direct bus from Shimla to Sangla Valley with online booking. You can change bus at either at Karcham or at Reckong Peo.