Nako Lake is a high altitude small lake situated in an extreme corner in Himachal Pradesh. This blog will share complete knowledge of how to reach Nako Lake from Shimla through different modes.
Where is Nako Lake located?
Nako Lake is a small lake situated in Nako Village of Kinnaur district. Nako village is around 110 Km ahead of Reckong Peo towards Spiti.
|Name of the Place||Nako Lake ( नाको झील )|
|Elevation||3650 m, 12000 ft|
|Best time to visit||April – June, September – October|
|Travel Distance by road||325 Km|
|Travel Time by road||9:25 Hrs (approximately)|
How to reach Nako Lake from Shimla
Nako Lake is connected by road and accessible majorly during summers. The distance between Nako Lake from Shimla is around 325 Km. There are different modes by which one can reach Nako Lake.
How to reach Nako Lake from Shimla by Road
There are various options to reach Nako Lake by road.
You can refer to the below table to plan your journey to Nako Lake.
|Sr. No.||Location||Distance (Km)||Elevation (ft)||Elevation (m)||Time (Hr)|
How to reach Nako Lake from Shimla on a Bus
Himachal Pradesh State Owned Buses are called HRTC buses ( Himachal Road Transport Corporation buses). They are usually green/blue in color.
Route – Shimla – Reckong Peo by bus and then Reckong Peo to Nako Lake by bus.
Below are the bus details you can choose
From Shimla to Reckong Peo:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||RECONGPEO||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||333||3:40 AM||4:00 PM||12:20 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||POOH VILLAGE||YES|
|2||633||4:30 AM||1:30 PM||9:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DHARAMSHALA||THANGI||NO|
|3||1220||5:00 AM||2:15 PM||9:15 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||HARIDWAR||RECONGPEO||NO|
|4||556||5:45 AM||3:00 PM||9:15 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RECONGPEO||NO|
|5||255||6:56 AM||4:40 PM||9:44 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||SOLAN||RECONGPEO||NO|
|6||1513||9:00 AM||7:00 PM||10:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|7||CHD-RPO||10:30 AM||7:00 PM||8:30 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|8||273||6:30 PM||3:30 AM||9:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||RECONGPEO||YES|
|9||1511||10:20 PM||7:00 AM||8:40 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|10||CHD-SML-RPO||10:30 PM||7:00 AM||8:30 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|11||1512||11:30 PM||9:00 AM||9:30 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||KALPA||NO|
From Reckong Peo to Nako Lake:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||RECONGPEO||Nako Lake||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||RPO-KZA-01||5:30 AM||9:30 AM||4:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||RECONGPEO||KAZA||NO|
|2||RPO-KZA-02||7:30 AM||11:30 AM||4:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||RECONGPEO||KAZA||NO|
For online booking of buses on the HRTC website kindly Click here
Note: If you are planning to take an offline HRTC bus, kindly confirm the timings from the HRTC Depot office before finalization. Click here to know the phone numbers.
How to reach Nako Lake from Shimla on your own Vehicle
If you can reach Shimla in your own Vehicle then reaching Nako Lake is not too difficult a task.
- The travel time is around 10 hrs so please make sure you start early in the day so that you reach Nako Lake in the evening..
- Highway up to Karcham after that single-lane road.
- Road near Nako Lake is not so okay, so having a high-ground clearance vehicle would be a good option.
- You don’t require a 4X4 vehicle there as the normal vehicle can reach there.
- The road from Rampur to Nako Lake is considered among the most dangerous roads so driving should be done carefully.
- In winter there would be high snowfall above Shimla to Narkanda and then in the Kinnaur district so weather updates to be taken before the start of the journey.
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur.
How to reach Nako Lake from Shimla on a bike
Nowadays traveling into the Himalayas on Bike is becoming a trend. Lots of bikers every year travel to remote areas and enjoy the beauty. Reaching Nako Lake on the bike would be the dream for every adventure lover. Kindly consider the below points before planning a trip to Nako Lake on a bike.
- Every bike can reach Nako Lake but prefer a bike with > 150 cc engine if you are with a pillion rider.
- You will feel the major variation in the temperature while traveling on the bike as there is a gain and drop of altitude. Shimla to Narkanda at a higher altitude than Rampur at a lower altitude.
- Ride carefully as the road from Rampur to Nako Lake is considered a dangerous road so driving should be done carefully.
- Carry rain covers along with as there might be rain at higher reaches.
- There are many landslide-prone areas that are treacherous during the rainy season.
- During winters Bike riding is not advisable as there will be snowfall / black ice on roads and bike riding is extremely dangerous..
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur so please plan and fill the tank based upon the fuel consumption of your bike.
How to reach Nako Lake from Shimla on a Taxi
Taxis can easily be hired for Nako Lake and there are many options available on the online platforms. Following key things to be considered while taxing taxis to Nako Lake.
- Drivers should be experienced in traveling in these areas.
- Vehicle to be comfortable since travel time would be more than 8 hrs.
- Ground clearance of the Vehicle to be good.
- Negotiate well before finalization.
How to reach Nako Lake from Shimla by Train
Nako Lake is not connected by train. The last station is at Shimla
How to reach Nako Lake from Shimla by air
Since Nako Lake is located deep in the Himalayas, there is no major airport nearby.
Summary – “How to reach Nako Lake from Shimla”
Let’s summarize what we have understood in this blog “How to reach Nako Lake from Delhi ”
- Nako Lake is a wonderful travel destination located in the Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh at around 325 KM from Shimla.
- You can reach Nako Lake in one day from Shimla.
- Nako Lake can be reached throughout the year but the best time is from April – June and then from September – October.
- Nako Lake can be reached by self-driven car, bike, taxi, and by Bus.
- Cheapest way to reach Nako Lake is by the HRTC bus and many options are available.
We hope you have got a good understanding of “How to reach Nako Lake from Shimla ”. If you want to give suggestions on this blog ” please comment.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions:
Question – Shimla to Nako Lake bus
Answer – There is no direct bus from Shimla to Nako Lake with online booking. You can change at Reckong Peo.