Do you know, the Prominent place in India with the purest air to breathe is Kinnaur in Himachal Pradesh ? It is a remote district of the hill state. This blog will share complete knowledge of how to reach Kinnaur from Chandigarh through different modes.
Where is Kinnaur located?
With headquarters at Reckong Peo, Kinnaur is a District of Himachal Pradesh. It lies near the China border and along the banks of Sutlej river or its tributaries. Kinnaur is the place famous for Kinnaur Kailash peak and for its high quality apples.
|Name of the Place||Kinnaur ( किन्नौर )|
|Elevation of Places||Varies from 1500 m, 3700 m|
|Best time to visit||April – June, September – October|
How to reach Kinnaur from Chandigarh
Reckong Peo, Headquarter of Kinnaur, is connected by road and accessible throughout the year except during heavy snowfall or during heavy rainfall. The distance between Reckong Peo from Chandigarh is around 335 Km. There are different modes by which one can reach Reckong Peo.
How to reach Kinnaur from Chandigarh by Road
There are various options to reach Reckong Peo by road.
You can refer to the below table to plan your journey to Reckong Peo.
|Sr. No.||Location||Distance (Km)||Elevation (ft)||Elevation (m)||Time (Hr)|
How to reach Kinnaur from Chandigarh on a Bus
If you want to travel to Himachal with a limited budget then traveling by Bus would be the best option. Unlike other hilly states, the bus network in Himachal is very good and night service is also available.
Himachal Pradesh State Owned Buses are called HRTC buses ( Himachal Road Transport Corporation buses). They are usually green/blue in color.
Reaching There are multiple options to reach Reckong Peo by bus. You can take the bus to major bus stands / ISBTs and then a further connecting bus can be taken.
Before moving to the options we need to understand the route map.
Option – 1 Chandigarh – Reckong Peo by bus from ISBT Sec-43.
Below are the bus details you can choose
From Chandigarh to Reckong Peo:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||556||1:10 AM||3:00 PM||13:50 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RECONGPEO||NO|
|2||1220||1:30 AM||2:15 PM||12:45 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||HARIDWAR||RECONGPEO||NO|
|3||1513||4:44 AM||7:00 PM||14:16 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||YES|
|4||CHD-RPO||6:05 AM||7:00 PM||12:55 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|5||1511||5:50 PM||7:00 AM||13:10 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||YES|
|6||CHD-SML-RPO||6:00 PM||7:00 AM||13:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|7||1512||7:00 PM||9:00 AM||14:00 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||KALPA||YES|
- There are many buses available on this route.
- You can also take the deluxe bus on this route.
- Long Journey
Option – 2 Chandigarh to Kinnaur, then to Reckong Peo.
The bus service from Chandigarh to Shimla is much more frequent. You can easily reach Shimla based on the connecting bus from Shimla.
From Shimla to Reckong Peo Travel you can read this blog with complete details of Buses. .
For online booking of buses on the HRTC website kindly Click here
Note: If you are planning to take an offline HRTC bus, kindly confirm the timings from the HRTC Depot office before finalization. Click here to know the phone numbers.
Option – 3 Chandigarh to Rampur, then to Reckong Peo.
From Chandigarh to Rampur:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||CHANDIGARH||RAMPUR||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||556||1:10 AM||10:40 AM||9:30 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RECONGPEO||NO|
|2||1220||1:25 AM||10:45 AM||9:20 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||HARIDWAR||RECONGPEO||NO|
|3||538||1:30 AM||9:00 AM||7:30 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RAMPUR||NO|
|4||518||3:15 AM||12:30 PM||9:15 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SANGLA||NO|
|5||CHD-KLK-KFN||4:00 AM||1:00 PM||9:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||KAFNU||NO|
|6||1513||4:44 AM||2:45 PM||10:01 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||YES|
|7||CHD-RPO-2X2||6:05 AM||3:00 PM||8:55 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|8||1726||6:36 AM||6:15 PM||11:39 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||SARAHAN||YES|
|9||1618||8:45 AM||7:15 PM||10:30 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||AMBALA CANT||RAMPUR||NO|
|10||1511||5:50 PM||2:45 AM||8:55 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||YES|
|11||CHD-SML-RPO||6:00 PM||3:00 AM||9:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|12||1512||7:00 PM||4:45 AM||9:45 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||KALPA||YES|
|13||1510||8:00 PM||5:45 AM||9:45 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RAMPUR||YES|
From Rampur to Reckong Peo:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||RAMPUR||RECONGPEO||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||866||1:15 AM||5:25 AM||4:10 Hrs||KEYLONG||ORDINARY||UDAIPUR||RECONGPEO||NO|
|2||1511||2:45 AM||7:00 AM||4:15 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|3||1512||4:45 AM||9:00 AM||4:15 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||KALPA||NO|
|4||930||4:55 AM||11:00 AM||6:05 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DHARAMSHALA||PANGI||NO|
|5||977||5:00 AM||9:15 AM||4:15 Hrs||DHARAMPUR||ORDINARY||DHARAMPUR MND||RECONGPEO||NO|
|6||633||8:25 AM||1:30 PM||5:05 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DHARAMSHALA||THANGI||NO|
|7||1616||8:30 AM||1:10 PM||4:40 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||RAMPUR||KALPA||YES|
|8||333||9:30 AM||4:00 PM||6:30 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||POOH VILLAGE||NO|
|9||1220||10:45 AM||2:15 PM||3:30 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||HARIDWAR||RECONGPEO||NO|
|10||255||12:15 PM||4:40 PM||4:25 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||SOLAN||RECONGPEO||NO|
|11||781||1:45 PM||7:00 PM||5:15 Hrs||SUNDERNAGAR||ORDINARY||MANDI||RECONGPEO||NO|
|12||1513||2:45 PM||7:05 PM||4:20 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|13||CHD-RPO-2X2||3:00 PM||7:10 PM||4:10 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|14||273||11:00 PM||3:30 AM||4:30 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||RECONGPEO||NO|
|15||CHD-SML-RPO||3:00 AM||6:55 AM||3:55 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
How to reach Kinnaur from Chandigarh on your own Vehicle
If you have good exposure to driving on mountainous roads and your vehicle is an SUV then this is a perfect option to travel to Reckong Peo. Below are Key things to be considered while traveling to Reckong Peo on your own driving.
- The travel time is more than 10 hrs so please make sure you start early in the morning so that you reach Reckong Peo in the evening before it is dark.
- Roads till Solan are good ( separate lanes for up and down traffic).
- You don’t require a 4X4 vehicle there as the normal vehicle can reach there.
- The road from Rampur to Reckong Peo is considered among the most dangerous roads so driving should be done carefully.
- There would be many landslide-prone areas that are treacherous during the rainy season.
- In winter there would be high snowfall above Shimla till Narkanda and then in the Kinnaur district so weather updates to be taken before the start of the journey.
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur.
How to reach Kinnaur from Chandigarh on a bike
Nowadays traveling into the Himalayas on Bike is becoming a trend. Lots of bikers every year travel to remote areas and enjoy the beauty. Reaching Reckong Peo on a bike would be the dream of every adventure lover. Kindly consider the below points before planning a trip to Reckong Peo on a bike.
- Every bike can reach Reckong Peo but prefer a bike with > 150 cc engine if you are with a pillion rider.
- You will feel the major variation in the temperature while traveling on the bike as there is a gain and drop of altitude. Shimla to Narkanda at a higher altitude than Rampur at a lower altitude.
- Ride carefully as the road from Rampur to Reckong Peo is considered a dangerous road so driving should be done carefully.
- Carry rain covers along as there might be rainy uphill while there is a clear sky on the plains.
- There are many landslide-prone areas that are treacherous during the rainy season.
- During winters Bike riding is not advisable as there will be snowfall / black ice on roads and bike riding is extremely dangerous..
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur so please plan and fill the tank based upon the fuel consumption of your bike.
How to reach Kinnaur from Chandigarh on a Taxi
Taxis can easily be hired for Reckong Peo and there are many options available on the online platforms. Following key things to be considered while taxing taxis to Reckong Peo.
- The Driver should be experienced in traveling these areas.
- Vehicle to be comfortable since travel time would be more than 12 hrs.
- Ground clearance of the Vehicle to be good.
- Negotiate well before finalization.
How to reach Kinnaur from Chandigarh by Train
The nearest railway station en route to Reckong Peo is the Shimla railway station. But this station is on the narrow gauge. You need to change trains from Kalka railway station. The Kalka railway station is for both broad gauge and narrow gauge. You can easily reach Kalka railway station from Chandigarh which is less than an Hour.
- This route is a UNESCO world heritage site.
- Best train route to see beautiful Himalayan mountains.
- Travel time is much high since the maximum speed of this train is around 30 km/hr
- The frequency of the trains between Kalka and Shimla is quite low.
How to reach Kinnaur from Chandigarh by air
Since Reckong Peo is located inner in the Himalayas, there is no major airport nearby.
The nearest airport en route to Reckong Peo is Shimla airport but there is no direct service available on the plane from Chandigarh.
Heli service is available from Chandigarh to Shimla.
Summary – “How to reach Kinnaur from Chandigarh”
Let’s summarize what we have understood in this blog “How to reach Kinnaur from Chandigarh ”
- Reckong Peo is a wonderful travel destination located in the Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh at around 335 KM from Chandigarh.
- You can reach Reckong Peo in one day from Chandigarh.
- Reckong Peo can be reached throughout the year but the best time is from April – June and then from September – October.
- Reckong Peo can be reached by self-driven car, bike, taxi, and by Bus.
- Nearest railway station is Shimla which is narrow gauge. The train can be taken from Kalka.
- Nearest airport is Shimla airport but no direct service from Chandigarh.
- Cheapest way to reach Reckong Peo is by the HRTC bus and many options are available.
We hope you have got a good understanding of “How to reach Kinnaur from Chandigarh ”. If you want to give suggestions on this blog ” please comment.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions:
Question – Chandigarh to Kinnaur bus
Answer – There are many direct buses from Chandigarh to Reckong Peo, Kinnaur with the online booking also. Read this blog, you will be able to know details of all the buses.