Deep in the Himalayas, there lies the confluence of Satluj river with Spiti river which is very near to the China border. This blog will share complete knowledge of how to reach Khab from Shimla through different modes.
Where is Khab located?
Khab is a small village on the banks of Satluj river and Khab Sangam is a major tourist point on the way to Spiti Valley. Khab is around 75 Km ahead of Reckong Peo.
|Name of the Place||Khab ( खाब )|
|Elevation||2600 m, 8500 ft|
|Best time to visit||April – June, September – October|
|Travel Distance by road||290 Km|
|Travel Time by road||08:45 Hrs (approximately)|
How to reach Khab from Shimla
Khab is connected by road and accessible throughout the year except during heavy snowfall or during heavy rainfall. The distance between Khab from Shimla is around 230 Km. There are different modes by which one can reach Khab.
How to reach Khab from Shimla by Road
There are various options to reach Khab by road.
You can refer to the below table to plan your journey to Khab.
|Sr. No.||Location||Distance (Km)||Elevation (ft)||Elevation (m)||Time (Hr)|
How to reach Khab from Shimla on a Bus
Himachal Pradesh State Owned Buses are called HRTC buses ( Himachal Road Transport Corporation buses). They are usually green/blue in color.
Route – Shimla – Reckong Peo by bus and then Reckong Peo to Khab by bus.
Below are the bus details you can choose
From Shimla to Reckong Peo:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||RECONGPEO||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||333||3:40 AM||4:00 PM||12:20 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||POOH VILLAGE||YES|
|2||633||4:30 AM||1:30 PM||9:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DHARAMSHALA||THANGI||NO|
|3||1220||5:00 AM||2:15 PM||9:15 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||HARIDWAR||RECONGPEO||NO|
|4||556||5:45 AM||3:00 PM||9:15 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RECONGPEO||NO|
|5||255||6:56 AM||4:40 PM||9:44 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||SOLAN||RECONGPEO||NO|
|6||1513||9:00 AM||7:00 PM||10:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|7||CHD-RPO||10:30 AM||7:00 PM||8:30 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|8||273||6:30 PM||3:30 AM||9:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||SHIMLA ISBT TUTIKANDI||RECONGPEO||YES|
|9||1511||10:20 PM||7:00 AM||8:40 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|10||CHD-SML-RPO||10:30 PM||7:00 AM||8:30 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|11||1512||11:30 PM||9:00 AM||9:30 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||KALPA||NO|
From Reckong Peo to Khab:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||RECONGPEO||NAKO||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||RPO-KZA-01||5:30 AM||9:30 AM||4:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||RECONGPEO||KAZA||NO|
|2||RPO-KZA-02||7:30 AM||11:30 AM||4:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||RECONGPEO||KAZA||NO|
For online booking of buses on the HRTC website kindly Click here
Note: If you are planning to take an offline HRTC bus, kindly confirm the timings from the HRTC Depot office before finalization. Click here to know the phone numbers.
How to reach Khab from Shimla on your own Vehicle
If you can reach Shimla in your own Vehicle then reaching Khab is not too difficult a task.
- The travel time is around 8 hrs so please make sure you start early in the day so that you reach Khab in the evening..
- Highway up to Karcham after that single-lane road.
- Road near Khab is not so okay, so having a high-ground clearance vehicle would be a good option.
- You don’t require a 4X4 vehicle there as the normal vehicle can reach there.
- The road from Rampur to Khab is considered among the most dangerous roads so driving should be done carefully.
- In winter there would be high snowfall above Shimla to Narkanda and then in the Kinnaur district so weather updates to be taken before the start of the journey.
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur.
How to reach Khab from Shimla on a bike
Nowadays traveling into the Himalayas on Bike is becoming a trend. Lots of bikers every year travel to remote areas and enjoy the beauty. Reaching Khab on the bike would be the dream for every adventure lover. Kindly consider the below points before planning a trip to Khab on a bike.
- Every bike can reach Khab but prefer a bike with > 150 cc engine if you are with a pillion rider.
- You will feel the major variation in the temperature while traveling on the bike as there is a gain and drop of altitude. Shimla to Narkanda at a higher altitude than Rampur at a lower altitude.
- Ride carefully as the road from Rampur to Khab is considered a dangerous road so driving should be done carefully.
- Carry rain covers along with as there might be rain at higher reaches.
- There are many landslide-prone areas that are treacherous during the rainy season.
- During winters Bike riding is not advisable as there will be snowfall / black ice on roads and bike riding is extremely dangerous..
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur so please plan and fill the tank based upon the fuel consumption of your bike.
How to reach Khab from Shimla on a Taxi
Taxis can easily be hired for Khab and there are many options available on the online platforms. Following key things to be considered while taxing taxis to Khab.
- Drivers should be experienced in traveling in these areas.
- Vehicle to be comfortable since travel time would be more than 8 hrs.
- Ground clearance of the Vehicle to be good.
- Negotiate well before finalization.
How to reach Khab from Shimla by Train
Khab is not connected by train. The last station is at Shimla
How to reach Khab from Shimla by air
Since Khab is located deep in the Himalayas, there is no major airport nearby.
Summary – “How to reach Khab from Shimla”
Let’s summarize what we have understood in this blog “How to reach Khab from Delhi ”
- Khab is a wonderful travel destination located in the Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh at around 215 KM from Shimla.
- You can reach Khab in one day from Shimla.
- Khab can be reached throughout the year but the best time is from April – June and then from September – October.
- Khab can be reached by self-driven car, bike, taxi, and by Bus.
- Cheapest way to reach Khab is by the HRTC bus and many options are available.
We hope you have got a good understanding of “How to reach Khab from Shimla ”. If you want to give suggestions on this blog ” please comment.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions:
Question – Shimla to Khab bus
Answer – There is no direct bus from Shimla to Khab with online booking. You can change at Reckong Peo.