Up in the Himalayan mountains stands an old Fort with beautiful architecture. This blog will share complete knowledge of how to reach Kamru Fort from Chandigarh through different modes.
Where is Kamru Fort located?
Kamru Fort is situated in the Kinnaur District of Himachal Pradesh. It is around 2 km from Sangla Village which is the major tourist attraction in the Kinnaur district. The elevation of Kamru fort of 200 m above Sangla.
|Name of the Place||Kamru Fort ( कामरू किला )|
|Elevation||2800 m, 9200 ft|
|Best time to visit||April – June, September – October|
|Travel Distance by road||337 Km|
|Travel Time by road||11:15 Hrs (approximately)|
How to reach Kamru Fort from Chandigarh
Kamru Fort is connected by road and accessible throughout the year except during heavy snowfall or during heavy rainfall. The distance between Kamru Fort from Chandigarh is around 335 Km. There are different modes by which one can reach Kamru Fort.
How to reach Kamru Fort from Chandigarh by Road
There are various options to reach Kamru Fort by road.
You can refer below table to plan your journey to Kamru Fort.
|Sr. No.||Location||Distance (Km)||Elevation (ft)||Elevation (m)||Time (Hr)|
How to reach Kamru Fort from Chandigarh on a Bus
If you want to travel to Himachal with a limited budget then traveling by Bus would be the best option. Unlike other hilly states, the bus network in Himachal is very good and night service is also available.
Himachal Pradesh State Owned Buses are called HRTC buses ( Himachal Road Transport Corporation buses). They are usually green/blue in color.
Reaching There are multiple options to reach Kamru Fort by bus. You can take the bus to major bus stands / ISBTs and then a further connecting bus can be taken.
Before moving to the options we need to understand the route map.
Option – 1 Chandigarh – Sangla by bus and then Kamru fort on foot
Below are the bus details you can choose
From Chandigarh to Sangla.
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||CHANDIGARH||SANGLA||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||518||3:15 AM||5:15 PM||14:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||SANGLA||NO|
- With this option, you can get a direct bus to Sangla.
- Since there is only one bus which origins from Delhi and there is no online booking, there is a limited chance of a seat on this bus.
- You need to travel by ordinary bus which is very much uncomfortable in long-distance hilly.
Option – 2 Chandigarh – Reckong Peo by bus and then Reckong Peo to Kamru Fort by another bus.
Below are the bus details you can choose
From Chandigarh to Reckong Peo:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||556||1:10 AM||3:00 PM||13:50 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||DELHI ISBT KASHMIRI GATE||RECONGPEO||NO|
|2||1220||1:30 AM||2:15 PM||12:45 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||HARIDWAR||RECONGPEO||NO|
|3||1513||4:44 AM||7:00 PM||14:16 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||YES|
|4||CHD-RPO||6:05 AM||7:00 PM||12:55 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|5||1511||5:50 PM||7:00 AM||13:10 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||YES|
|6||CHD-SML-RPO||6:00 PM||7:00 AM||13:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
|7||1512||7:00 PM||9:00 AM||14:00 Hrs||RAMPUR||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||KALPA||YES|
From Reckong Peo to Kamru Fort Via Sangla:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||RECONGPEO||SANGLA||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||RPO-CKL-01||9:30 AM||12:00 PM||2:30 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||RECONGPEO||CHITKUL||NO|
|2||RPO-CKL-002||12:00 PM||2:00 PM||2:00 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||RECONGPEO||CHITKUL||NO|
- There are many buses available on this route.
- You can also that connecting bus to Kamru Fort if you reach Reckong Peo on time.
- You can also take the deluxe bus on this route.
- There is no direct bus from Chandigarh to Kamru Fort with online booking and you have to go to Reckongpeo. This will add a minimum of 2 Hrs to your travel.
Option – 3 Chandigarh to Shimla, then to Kamru Fort Via Sangla.
The bus service from Chandigarh to Shimla is much more frequent. You can easily reach Shimla based on the connecting bus from Shimla.
From Shimla to Kamru Fort Travel you can read this blog with complete details of Buses. .
Option – 4 Chandigarh to Tapri, then to Kamru Fort Via Sangla. ( Best combination)
If you want to reach Kamru Fort without any halt and not to Reckong Peo then the best combination which I can suggest is to reach
- There are two buses from Chandigarh to Recokong Peo at @5:50 PM (Delux bus with Online Booking) and Other @6:00 PM ( Ordinary bus without Online Booking).
- Take the ticket to Tapri and you will reach Tapri at around 6:00 AM
- Then take Tapri to Kamru Fort Bus which departs at @6:45 AM, you will reach Kamru Fort by around @8:15 AM.
From Chandigarh to Tapri:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||CHANDIGARH||TAPRI||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||1511||5:50 PM||6:00 AM||12:10 Hrs||REC PEO||HIMMANI DELUXE 2X2 NON AC||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||YES|
|2||CHD-SML-RPO||6:00 PM||5:45 AM||11:45 Hrs||REC PEO||ORDINARY||CHANDIGARH||RECONGPEO||NO|
From Tapri to Kamru Fort Via Sangla:
|SR. No.||SERVICE NO.||TAPRI||SANGLA||DURATION||DEPOT||TYPE||ORIGIN||DESTINATION||ONLINE BOOKING|
|1||MND-RMP-CKL||6:45 AM||7:45 AM||1:00 Hrs||MANDI||ORDINARY||MANDI||CHITKUL||NO|
For online booking of buses on the HRTC website kindly Click here
Note: If you planning to take an offline HRTC bus, kindly confirm the timings from the HRTC Depot office before finalization. Click here to know the phone numbers.
How to reach Kamru Fort from Chandigarh on your own Vehicle
If you have good exposure to driving on mountainous roads and your vehicle is an SUV then this is a perfect option to travel to Kamru Fort. Below are Key things to be considered while traveling to Kamru Fort on your own driving.
- The travel time is more than 10 hrs so please make sure you start early in the morning so that you reach Kamru Fort in the evening before it is dark.
- Roads till Solan are good ( separate lanes for up and down traffic).
- Highway road up to Karcham after that single-lane road.
- You don’t require a 4X4 vehicle there as the normal vehicle can reach there.
- The road from Rampur to Kamru Fort is considered among the most dangerous road so driving should be done carefully.
- There would be many landside-prone areas that are treacherous during raining season.
- In winter there would be high snowfall above Shimla till Narkanda and then in the Kinnaur district so weather updates to be taken before the start of the journey.
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur.
How to reach Kamru Fort from Chandigarh on a bike
Nowadays traveling into the Himalayas on Bike is getting a trend. Lots of bikers every year travel to remote areas and enjoy the beauty. Reaching Kamru Fort on a bike would be the dream for every adventure lover. Kindly consider the below points before planning a trip to Kamru Fort on a bike.
- Every bike can reach Kamru Fort but prefer a bike with > 150 cc engine if you are with a pinion rider.
- You will feel the major variation in the temperature while traveling on the bike as there is a gain and drop of altitude. Shimla to Narkanda at a higher altitude than Rampur at a lower altitude.
- Ride carefully as the road from Rampur to Kamru Fort is considered a dangerous road so driving should be done carefully.
- Carry rain covers along with as there might be rainy uphill while it is a clear sky on the plains.
- There are many landside-prone areas that are treacherous during raining season.
- During winters Bike riding is not advisable as there will be snowfall / black ice on roads and bike riding is extremely dangerous..
- There are limited petrol pumps the way after Rampur so please plan and fill the tank based upon the fuel consumption of your bike.
How to reach Kamru Fort from Chandigarh on a Taxi
Taxi can easily be hired for Kamru Fort and there are many options available on the online platforms. Following key things to be considered while taxing taxis to Kamru Fort.
- The driver should be experienced in traveling these areas.
- Vehicle to be comfortable since travel time would be more than 12 hrs.
- Ground clearance of the Vehicle is good.
- Negotiate well before finalization.
How to reach Kamru Fort from Chandigarh by Train
The nearest railway station en route to Kamru Fort is the Shimla railway station. But this station is on the narrow gauge. You need to change the train from Kalka railway station. The Kalka railway station is for both broad gauge and narrow gauge. You can easily reach Kalka railway station from Chandigarh which is less than an Hour.
- This route is a UNESCO world heritage site.
- Best train route to see beautiful Himalayan mountains.
- Travel time is much high since the maximum speed of this train is around 30 km/hr
- The frequency of the trains between Kalka and Shimla is quite low.
How to reach Kamru Fort from Chandigarh by air
Since Kamru Fort is located inner in the Himalayas, there is no major airport nearby.
The nearest airport en route to Kamru Fort is Shimla airport but there is no direct service available on the plane is available from Chandigarh.
Heli service is available from Chandigarh to Shimla.
Summary – “How to reach Kamru Fort from Chandigarh”
Let’s summarize what we have understood in this blog “How to reach Kamru Fort from Chandigarh ”
- Kamru Fort is a wonderful travel destination located in the Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh around 337 KM from Chandigarh.
- You can reach Kamru Fort in one day from Chandigarh.
- Kamru Fort can be reached throughout the year but the best time is from April – June and then from September – October.
- Kamru Fort can be reached by self-driven car, bike, taxi, and by Bus.
- The nearest railway station is Shimla which is a narrow gauge. The train can be taken from Kalka.
- The nearest airport is Shimla airport but no direct service from Chandigarh.
- The cheapest way to reach Kamru Fort is by the HRTC bus and many options are available.
We hope you have got a good understanding of “How to reach Kamru Fort from Chandigarh ”. If you want to give suggestions on this blog ” please do comment.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions:
Question – Chandigarh to Kamru Fort bus
Answer – There is no direct bus from Chandigarh to Kamru Fort with online booking. You can take the bus to Reckong Peo and then to Sangla.